[Air-l] blogs and value

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Apr 27 09:28:44 PDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Sashay wrote:

> What I'd like to see a study explore is the ego/vanity aspects of blogging. I
> blog, but I do it more to sort out my own thoughts and catalogue sites and
> interesting net phenomenon. I don t' care as much about whether I get readers
> or not. However, I suspect many do care and I have to wonder if the wholesale
> adoption of RSS feeds pushed out to people are an attempt to feel your
> blogging time is justified by ensuring that your message is getting out
> there.

- Not to play the devil's advocate (which is some sort of a rhetorical
trope since that's what I'm doing) - I have a feeling perhaps even the
majority of bloggers would say the same. Why catalog online if not for
open readership? I think there may be a distancing effect here; I remember
a report years ago that the majority of workers who were interviewed said
their jobs were temporary, even though they might have been at the same
place for years.

- Alan, blurring sociology with bad memory here