[Air-l] Unit of analysis

LEE JENG HOON jenghoon at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 6 20:21:57 PDT 2005

Hi.

As my literature review has progressed, I am sort of surprised of the fact
that not many people touched on a basic issue in content analysis.   As you
know, the Internet is a different medium from traditional mass media, which
have distinctive unit of analysis.   Considering the web sites are
interconnected with other web sites through hyperlinks, how can we determine
the appropriate unit of analysis in analyzing web content?   Traditional
mass media have ultimate control over the exposure of content but the
Internet allows users to extend the content.  If we calculate the amount of
content consumed by individual users, the actual amount of content available
to the individual users surely exceeds ones carried by the individual web
pages the users initially visit.

My question is what is appropriate unit of analysis in web content analysis
if we want to reflect the actual content available to the individual users.

I hope I make myself clear here.   Any thoughts will be welcome.

Jenghoon Lee