[Air-l] 1-year positions at Rutgers U

Ulla Bunz bunz at scils.rutgers.edu
Wed Apr 20 20:11:47 PDT 2005

Hi all -
we have a number of 1-year positions available at Rutgers University (New Jersey).
There is a possibility (but no guarantee) that some of these may turn into a
tenure-track position at some point after the first year. It is my understanding
that this will not be decided at the time of hiring, but at some later point
throughout the 2005/2006 year. Ask the search chair for clarification.

Please note the classes that we are hoping to fill are for majors (Juniors/seniors)
and are topically open, as long as they fit within our curriculum. That is, we are
not trying to fill a particular class, rather categories of classes (3/400 level).

If you go to the SCILS, Rutgers website, please check only the classes listed under
"Communication." The "Media Studies" department and the "Information Technology and
Informatics" major are not the same as the "Communication" department. They are in
the same school, but not in our department. That sometimes causes confusion and
people apply for the wrong job/to the wrong department. Any class that starts with
the numbers 04:192 is taught by the Department of Communication.

See below for the full job ad. If you have further questions, please contact Dr.
Kathryn Greene, the search chair.
Best,
Ulla

--
Ulla Bunz
Assistant Professor

Position description:  The Department of Communication at Rutgers, The State
University of New Jersey invites applications for one or more one-year Lecturers
(Assistant Professors), to teach 3-4 courses per semester, in any of the following
areas: Organizational Communication, Health Communication, Interpersonal
Communication, Nonverbal Communication, Persuasion, Public Relations, and/or
Mediated Communication (Mediated Communication does not include traditional mass
communication and broadcast or print media, but considers the social contexts and
consequences of new technologies such as wireless communication and the Internet.).
Teaching responsibilities will begin September 1, 2005.

Faculty members supervise research and teach in an undergraduate degree in
Communication, a Master’s in Communication and Information Studies, and Ph.D. in
Communication, Information, and Library Studies.  The department situates its core
theoretical and research interests in three areas: social interaction,
organizational communication, and mediated communication.  Three major initiatives
lie at the intersection of these areas: the Center for Communication and Health
Issues, the Center for Organizational Development and Leadership, and the new Center
for Mobile Communication Studies.  For more information, see
http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/comm.

Qualifications:  Completed Ph.D. (preferred), or ABD, in Communication or related
social science discipline, and evidence of teaching excellence.

Salary is competitive and commensurate with rank and qualifications.

Application deadline: Application review will begin immediately and will continue
until the positions are filled.

Application Procedure:  Please send a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, evidence
of teaching accomplishments, and the names and contact information for three
references to:
Dr. Kathryn Greene, Chair, Search Committee
Department of Communication
4 Huntington Street
New Brunswick, NJ  08901-1071
(For further information contact Dr. Kathryn Greene at kgreene at scils.rutgers.edu)

About the University:  Established in 1766, Rutgers University is the eighth oldest
university in the U.S., with approximately 48,000 students on three campuses.  The
Rutgers-New Brunswick campus is the largest campus and is conveniently located
between New York City and Philadelphia.  Rutgers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.