[Air-l] Postal mail and e-mail

Cox dholeman1 at cox.net
Mon Aug 8 13:28:23 PDT 2005

I've just finished reading The Victorian Internet and recommend it to this
list. There are some important lessons in it, though nothing in the way of
mass comm theory except that anecdotes will reinforce what you already know,
and very little specifically regarding snail mail.

The book is mostly an historical account of the technical evolution of
telegraphy but aptly named as it reveals a great many social parallels
between the use of the telegraph network and the internet. For instance,
telegraphers were chatting online a century before AOL was thought of, even
to the point of romance and virtual marriage cerimonies.

Having studied the differences between British and American online news
organizations I was particularly interested to learn that the philosophical
roots of these differences extend all the way back to the telegraph: "The
greatest difference between the telegraph systems of Europe and America is
that [in Europe], the telegraph is used principally for social
correspondence, here by businessmen for business purposes". (p.169)

Don Holeman