[Air-l] Postal mail and e-mail

Esther Milne emilne at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Fri Aug 5 15:12:37 PDT 2005

hi all,

at the risk of shameless self promotion (or even shamful!) my research is concerned with precisely these areas, namely similarities and diferences between the socio-technological forms of email and postal technologies.

an overview of the research can be found in my article 'Email and Epistolary technologies: Presence, Intimacy, Disembodiment' published in the Fibreculture Journal and available: http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue2/issue2_milne.html

cheers,
Esther

Dr Esther Milne
Lecturer in Media and Communications
Faculty of Life and Social Sciences
Swinburne University of Technology
John Street
Hawthorn VIC 3122
AUSTRALIA
Tel: +613 92148195
Fax: +613 98190574
**PLEASE NOTE NEW OFFICE: SE324**

>>> aledbett at ku.edu 08/06/05 3:10 AM >>>
I am currently writing a literature review on how various communication modalities are used in interpersonal contexts. One modality I am (not surprisingly) finding little material on is postal mail. In particular, I am looking for sources that either (a) address changes in postal mail use with the advent of e-mail or (b) qualitative comparisons of the use of postal mail and e-mail within interpersonal relationships. In particular, I have heard anecdotal reports of e-mail being more "convenient" but postal mail being "special" in a way that e-mail is not, though I have not found scholarly material that documents this perception.

Does anyone know of scholarly articles that address these issues?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew M. Ledbetter
Ph.D. student, University of Kansas

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.