[Air-l] moderate dataset of internet scam messages available... (this is not an internet scam!)

Ronald E. Rice rrice at comm.ucsb.edu
Tue Aug 16 15:27:37 PDT 2005

Dr. Gerber has a moderate collection of Internet scam messages, and wanted
to know if anyone might be interested in having them for analysis, etc.
Otherwise, he's getting ready to delete this file.  Please send replies of
interest to Dr. Mike Gerber, Professor of Education, Gevirtz Graduate School
of Education, UCalifornia Santa Barbara, 93106, CA,
mgerber at education.ucsb.edu; http://education.ucsb.edu/people/gerber.html

What I've been collecting are emails delivered to my normal university
account since July 10, 2002 (the last was July 28, 2005). I believe there
are 127 separate emails. There are occasional duplications of nominal sender
and message, sometimes duplications of message with different nominal
senders. Most claim to be from Africans, some claim to be from Europeans,
and occasionally some claim to be from someone in North America. All are
confidence schemes related to large amounts of money that have come into the
possession of the sender. Some relate either to lottery winnings received by
the sender or to claims that the recipient has won a lottery.

I quote one exactly below as an example.

So, that's it. If you know someone who wants them, I'm happy to send them on
even though I imagine anyone using email has probably seen dozens of these.
I imagine some scholar out there thinks they are interesting too.

Best wishes,

Mike Gerber
GGSE
=====================
Here's a verbatim quote from a sample taken at random that seems modal to
me.

"From;Mr.William Tambo
Calabar Nigeria
Alternative Eami::(williamtambo2 at fastermail.com)

Dear

My name is MR.William Tambo.I am the Chief finacial to Mr.Charles Taylor,the
ex-president of libera who is presestiy on exile in Nigeria.We are here
in Nigeria together.As his private financil controller,I have access to
his finacial records more then any of his family members

Mr Charles Taylor has over $10 billion dollares outside his hom country
libera and his family members or people around him are not aware of this
with his present notion of arrest and following his resyticted movement
and the recent prociamation by Zurich authority,

the U.N war crimes courtand the America Government,have agreed that all
Bank account belonging to Charles Taylor should be reported/frozen There
fore I want to use this opportunity to make good money for myseif.I have
worked for him for over 15years and Ihave nothing show for it.

I am only leaving on his fake promises and hope presently, I have complete
information to authorize with document for collecting/receivvng $250milliom
from one of his financial sources in South Africa. And I need i your
assistance in receiving the fund in Europe on my brhalf.

Charles T aylor has prepared himself legally and secretly arranged with
Top most Government agents to transfer the fund as at when instructed.

In light of the above,if I get a positive response from you, then I WILL
immediately forward you the complete information that enable us claim the
fund as the receiver authorized by Charles Taylor

Have a nice day.

Regards
Mr.William Tambo.
Alternative Email:(williamtambo2 at fastermail.com)"