[Air-l] Re: Postal mail and e-mail

Bram Dov Abramson bda at bazu.org
Fri Aug 5 12:26:22 PDT 2005

> I am currently writing a literature review on how various communication
> modalities are used in interpersonal contexts. One modality I am (not
> surprisingly) finding little material on is postal mail. In particular, I
> am looking for sources that either (a) address changes in postal mail use
> with the advent of e-mail or (b) qualitative comparisons of the use of
> postal mail and e-mail within interpersonal relationships. In particular,
> I have heard anecdotal reports of e-mail being more "convenient" but
> postal mail being "special" in a way that e-mail is not, though I have not
> found scholarly material that documents this perception.
>
> Does anyone know of scholarly articles that address these issues?

You will already have thought of this, but just in case, let me note that
there may be good studies available from other sources, too:

- Many postal services will have examined this issue closely, commissioned
studies, etc.  Such studies would, I imagine, be available directly from
postal service staff.  Should that avenue prove difficult, you may be able
to take advantage of the fact that most postal services are government-run
or -owned -- access-to-information legislation in many jurisdictions
provides an avenue for obtaining such material.

- The Universal Postal Union (http://www.upu.int), the international
organisation which federates state-run postal services, may also be a good
source for studies or results of studies of this type.  In particular,
their International Bureau, which does postal statistics:
<http://www.upu.int/statistics/en/index.shtml>.

cheers
Bram