[Air-l] academics steering away

Jonathan Marshall Jonathan.Marshall at uts.edu.au
Wed Aug 3 18:36:30 PDT 2005

> In a recent discussion, an Aussie colleague said:
>
>> "On the whole, with the exception of legal writers arguing about
>> whethersuch control is good or bad, academics seem to have steered
>> away from the
>> issues involved of how these things actually work.

> I really wondered about "steering away" which really says
> "deliberatelyavoids" (you have to actively "steer").

Well, if for example i steer to towards the US, I also steer Away from Western Australia.  Thats life and thats innocence :)

However, although i was not arguing this, there are of course explicit and implicit 'forces' which affect the kinds of work that people take up and which gets propagated - if there isn't, then we might as well forget about doing sociology altogether and simply assume everyone has personal motivations which overwhelm social factors.

> It actually sounds as a hot and researchable topic -- see
> sociological-ish journal _Surveillance and Society_.

thank you for the reference.

jon

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If