[Air-l] Gender and media preference

Bunz, Ulla Ulla.Bunz at comm.fsu.edu
Mon Aug 8 13:38:52 PDT 2005

Some of my research on technological aptitude shows that men *perceive* themselves to be good at the "nuts and bolts" sorts of things related to technology, such as fiddling with new hardware/software, while women *perceive* themselves to be good at the communicative/relational issues, such as accommodating another's style etc. I presented a paper on that at ICA this May and you can contact me directly for a copy. Of course, these are *perceptions* and I'm emphasizing that on purpose because another of my studies shows that there isn't any significant difference between the genders along either the more applied/technical or the more communicative dimensions. (For more info on that paper, also email me directly.) While this may not explain why men participate more offline, this may provide an explanation for why women participate more online: they have confidence in their communication skills in a computer-mediated environment skills.
Ulla
http://bunz.comm.fsu.edu
Bunz, U. (2005, May). A gender-focused meta-analysis of computer-email-web fluency and CMC Competency Studies. Presented at the 55th annual International Communication Association conference, New York.

---
Ulla Bunz
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication