[Air-l] Wikipedia warning -- Wikipedia is not a reliable information source

GTa3411203 at aol.com GTa3411203 at aol.com
Mon Dec 5 06:29:30 PST 2005

I have found that Wikipedia entries are good starting points for conducting
research on emerging trends. For example, I am currently writing a paper on the
emerging trends to use mobile devices (PDAs, smartphones, tablet computers,
MP3 players) and wireless networks to support learning in workplace and
educational settings. I have found Wikipedia entries to be an invaluable resource in
assisting me with pulling together the evolutionary processes associated with
the emergence of the various mobile devices and associated practices. My
approach in using this source of information in support of research is to
triangulate available information to other sources, those that skeptics would consider
as being reputable publications (newspapers, trade publications, academic
journals, books). I also encourage students to use this same approach when
considering using a Wikipedia entry as reliable source of information.

I co-teach an on campus course where students do collaborative learning
activities each week to construct knowledge about a given topic. At the completion
of the activity, I ask students to report out to others, in a large group
setting, key insights gained from the interaction. I might have them share
information orally or in writing, using the blackboards or whiteboards in a room or
easel-size Post-It notes and colored markers. This activity could easily turn
into one where students could create new or build upon existing Wikipedia
entries. I would use this approach in teaching this group of students but have
limitations with regard to access to computer and Internet resources that are
necessary to support the integration of this activity into a face-to-face
classroom setting. I could modify the approach so tasks would be completed as t
ake-home assignments but this goes against personal teaching values. I teach students
from the constructivist perspective and place high value on students
constructing knowledge in collaboration with others, with guidance from me as opposed
to the other way around.

-- Gail