[Air-l] Making gender complicated on Friendster

GTa3411203 at aol.com GTa3411203 at aol.com
Mon Dec 12 08:14:10 PST 2005

I have a Facebook account. Users are able to create profiles that share
personal interests with others. One of these interests has to do with dating. I've
run across a few profiles where men and women are indicating choices as being
both male and female, which could be construed to say the person is bisexual.
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in making this assessment without
having access to more information.

I'm going to digress a minute and call attention to the manner in which this
also plays out in research circles.  I recently submitted a paper for a
conference. The form was designed so that a person had to choose between
qualitative, quantitative, evaluation, or research in progress. I submitting a proposal
for a paper that explored an emerging trend across 200 organizations using a
mixed-method approach to gathering and analyzing data. I contacted the
conference organizers and challenged their designations. As a mixed method researcher,
I can identify with feelings of confusion others feels about sexualilty when
being placed in a position where established social norms are defining actions.
:-)

-- Gail

Gail Taylor, M.Ed.
Human Resource Education Ph.D. Student
Educational Psychology Teaching Assistant
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign