[Air-l] heterotopias and the internet?

Martijn Stevens m.stevens at let.ru.nl
Fri Dec 16 01:01:03 PST 2005

Hi Mark, Jere, Kathy and others,

I'm a phd student at the Radboud University in Nijmegen, the Netherlands and  my research is about the 'musealization'  of Internet art. Recently, I've written a piece which was on the Internet as heterotopia.

I'm not using Foucault in relation to the Other or the Panopticum, but I'm trying to analyse the net as the actualisation of virtual relationships. That's where I bring in the heterotopia, but it's actually a rather Deleuzian point of view.
Furthermore, I want to describe processes of musealization as constituting discourses of power, which is resisted by the very nature of the net.

Also, I was wondering if anyone is working with Foucault's concept of heterochrony.

I hope this makes sense and I would really like to discuss these matters with you all.

Best,
Martijn Stevens

Department of Cultural Studies and Comparative Arts
Raboud University Nijmegen
The Netherlands

m.stevens at let.ru.nl