[Air-l] I spoke too soon - some data re message board use

David Brake d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk
Sat Dec 17 16:13:27 PST 2005

I spoke too soon! Some data is available after all. More would be
welcome however as there still isn't much!

Livingstone, S. M. and M. Bober (2004) "Uk Children Go Online:
Surveying the Experiences of Young People and Their Parents" ESRC
London. http://personal.lse.ac.uk/bober/UKCGOsurveyreport.pdf
reveals that of 12-19 year old regular internet users 17% contributed
to message boards (doesn't separate out 'lurkers' from 'participants'
though.

Survey data from Pew's first Teen and Parent survey in 2000 reveals
38% of 12-17 year olds go to “web sites and bulletin boards where
they can write their opinions about things”. Unfortunately, this
question disappeared from (what seems to be?) Pew's only other survey
data with teens in it - in 2004.

And while I think of it here are the other sources I checked
unsuccessfully (but which other researchers interested in young
people and Internet use may find handy):

Dutton, W. H., C. di Genarro and A. M. Hargrave (2005) "The Internet
in Britain: The Oxford Internet Survey (Oxis)" Oxford Internet
Institute Oxford. http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/research/oxis/
OxIS_2005_Internet_Survey.pdf

Roberts, D. F., U. G. Foehr and V. M. A. Rideout (2005) "Generation
M: Media in the Lives of 8-18 Year Olds" Kaiser Family Foundation
http://www.kff.org/entmedia/7251.cfm doesn't seem to have anything in
it.

NetRatings Australia Pty Ltd (2005) "Kidsonline at Home: Internet Use in
Australian Homes" Sydney. http://www.aba.gov.au/newspubs/internet.shtml

---
David Brake, Doctoral Student in Media and Communications, London
School of Economics & Political Science
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/media@lse/study/
mPhilPhDMediaAndCommunications.htm>
Also see http://davidbrake.org/ (home page), http://blog.org/
(personal weblog) and http://get.to/lseblog (academic groupblog)
Author of Dealing With E-Mail - <http://davidbrake.org/
dealingwithemail/>
callto://DavidBrake (Skype.com's Instant Messenger and net phone)