[Air-l] identity readings?

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Wed Dec 21 12:13:34 PST 2005

Nathaniel,
There is such a range of material out there. I co-ran a day on
identity in virtual spaces at NY Law School earlier this year which
had a mixed group of legal scholars, game designers, social
scientists etc. I put together a reading list for this which tried to
get at identity from a few angles, I kept the philosophy to the
minimum. Here is the reading list I came up with, I stressed that if
people had not spent any time in a virtual world then actually being
in one for a while was probably more valuable than the reading, but
in this group each were experts in their respective fields, here is
the list which I have re-ordered with the ones that I think might be
most relevant to your audience plus a few notes:

M Consalvo, S Paasonen, Women & Everyday Uses of the Internet: Agency &
Identity. Gender, Identity, and (the limits of) play on the Internet pp.
21-43

- Challenges Turkle and Stone in some interesting ways.

D Williams, Trouble in River City - The Social Life of Video Games, Ch5
ON the Screen on the 'Net pp74-78 Social Capital and the internet.

- Interesting because it has an empirical slant based on observation
of a group using Ashron's Call 2 (I think).

always_black: Bow Nigger
http://www.alwaysblack.com/blackbox/bownigger.html

- quintacental 'new games journalism' piece that give primacy to race
in virtual spaces

R Bartle: Designing Virtual World
Chapter 3: Players  esp. pp174 - 185

- The creator of MUD's ideas on identity

S Zizek: The Plage of Fantasies
Cyberspace, or, the unbearable closure of being p133-143

- Thought provoking but possibly not for absolute beginners

D W Winnicott: Playing and Reality Ch 4 Playing - Creative activity
and the search for the self  pp53-64

- One psychological theory that links play with identity

Krzywinska, T (2004) ‘Who’s World is it?’: Creative Play and Player
Presence in World of Warcraft, digra.

http://www.gamesconference.org/digra2005/viewabstract.php?id=2

Reynolds, Ren
http://terranova.blogs.com/terra_nova/2005/08/the_four_worlds.html

- My first attempt at creating some kind of taxonomy for talking
about classes of virtual space. One of my axes relates to identity.

The Laws of Identity...

Kim Cameron, Identity and Access Architect, Microsoft Corporation
(May 2005)

http://www.identityblog.com/stories/2005/07/25/thelaws.html

- This is from the world of identity that is more interested in
systems of trust, ID cards and all that.

Solove, D (2004) The Digital Person - Technology and Privacy in the
Information Age. New York: New York University Press,

- The introduction might be of interest.

FYI the 'experience' list that I proposed is as follows:

Anarchy Online (Free)
www.anarchy-online.com/

Second Life (free) secondlife.com and / or There (free 3 day trial)
www.there.com

Achaea (Free)
www.ironrealms.com/achaea.html