[Air-l] Wikipedia warning -- Wikipedia is not a reliable information source

Steinberger Peter a9301858 at unet.univie.ac.at
Sun Dec 4 12:06:27 PST 2005

To be consequent you have to ban all other internet sources too. And all the
magazines that are peer reviewed too, because lately they made some major
mistakes too. Yes i am polemic.

You correctly say that: It is as easy to change an article for the worse as
for the better.
Well why didn't Mr Siegenthaler change it to the better by himself? He used
all the power of old media (and he is very powerful) to discredit new media.
And you are jumping on the bandwagon, as if the credibility concerns are
something new. But apparently it takes the power of the New York Times...
This is a different discussion.

> If enough of us prohibit Wikipedia as a reference source in
> our courses, programs, and schools, the message will
> eventually get through.
And by the way, what is the message that will eventually get through?
Trust no one except your teacher???

I suggest its better to discuss the problem with the students than to simply
ban a source. Personally I think using Wikipedia as the only source, as it
is with any single source, is bad scientific style. And this problem can not
be solved by prohibiting Wikipedia. But maybe I understand the teachers job
wrong.

Best regards, peter