[Air-l] Wikipedia warning -- Wikipedia is not a reliable information source

Ulf-Dietrich Reips ureips at genpsy.unizh.ch
Sun Dec 4 12:31:23 PST 2005

Funny...

At 20:02 Uhr +0100 4.12.2005, Ken Friedman wrote:

>The Siegenthaler case in the New York Times and USA Today via Yahoo:
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/weekinreview/04seelye.html
>
>http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051130/cm_usatoday/afalsewikipediabiography

I just went to wikipedia and looked up the man named "Siegenthaler"
Ken mentioned and didn't find an entry, until I noticed from the two
other sources Ken had posted that the name is actually "Seigenthaler"
;-)

Never trust a single source...
--u

P.S. At the end of the wikipedia entry on Seigenthaler it now reads:
"Between May and September 2005, a biographical article on
Seigenthaler carried by the encyclopedia Wikipedia contained
incorrect statements to the effect that he might have had some
involvement in the John F. Kennedy assassination and Robert F.
Kennedy assassination. The comment, added by an anonymous editor,
prompted Seigenthaler to write an op-ed in USA Today on November 29,
2005, in which he stated that "...Wikipedia is a flawed and
irresponsible research tool...for four months, Wikipedia depicted me
as a suspected assassin." Seigenthaler said that he had tried to
determine the identity of the anonymous editor but had been unable to
do so since "Congress has enabled them and protects them"-a reference
to Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act which states "no
provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated
as the publisher or speaker."[6]"