[Air-l] 2nd CfP - Workshop CHI2006 - new user experience challenges in iT V: mobility & sociability

Nathaniel Poor natpoor at umich.edu
Mon Dec 19 08:40:24 PST 2005

Am I the only one who saw this last week and thought, "Oh my goodness,
they're *still* working on interactive TV???!!!"

After the "We are going to make the web into TV" hype from clueless
media co's in the mid-1990s....
After QUBE....
After videotex....

Going by... I think it's Fidler... new techs take 30 years to succeed,
if indeed they are going to, it only needs about 10 more years (unless
there is earlier iTV work, which there may be -- oh, wait, there is.
Well, 30 years is here...)

iTV is not exactly one of my research areas, but it is all about
control, power, capitalism, democracy, and hegemony, and those are cool
things.

iTV is, in some ways, a battle either for or against the Internet:
either assumption of control over it (turning it into TV), or hoping to
make it irrelevant. Like books, the Internet isn't going to go away
overnight, but it might end up with a different name and different
functionality (in fact this has happened several times since 1969).

One annoying and amusing aspect is that it is the same thing all over
again, again. The videotex story, the iTV (interactive) story, the
still-unfolding Internet story (well Lessig might say it's all over
already), they're all the same. Probably others as well. Oh, radio!
Even what we in the US call "public television." Maybe even
public-access cable stations... always a sidelining of non-corporate
interests (this is all totally US-centric, btw). (You could even throw
the original Divx story in there: it's all about control, overreaching,
and failure.) (I call it "the control devolution", punning on the
Beniger and the Shapiro books.)

Perhaps I am too idealistic...

(And now, I will make a reference section for my email. Amazing.)

Fidler, R. (1997). Mediamorphosis : Understanding New Media. Pine Forge.

Kim, P. (2001). New Media, Old Ideas: The Organizing Ideology of
Interactive TV. Journal of Communication Inquiry, 25(1), 72-88.

Kyrish, S. (2001). Lessons from a predictive history: What videotex
told us about the World Wide Web. Convergence: The Journal of Research
into New Media Technologies 7(4).