[Air-l] wikipedia and defamation

Karim R. Lakhani lakhani at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 5 20:21:51 PST 2005

This and the other earlier discussion reminds me of my early days
researching open source communities (7 years ago!)- a lot of people just
simply refused to believe that any good could come out of distributed
innovation communities - we now know better....

for me wikipedia is still in its early days and the rules are just now
being figured out --- for example it is now being reported that NEW
ARTICLES - will need to be started by REGISTERED Users:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051205/ap_on_hi_te/wikipedia_rules

graf:
Wikipedia will now require users to register before they can create
articles, Jimmy Wales, founder of the St. Petersburg, Fla.-based Web
site, said Monday. People who modify existing articles will still be
able to do so without registering.

The change comes less than a week after John Seigenthaler, a one-time
administrative assistant to Robert Kennedy, complained in an op-ed
published in USA Today that a biography of him on Wikipedia claimed he
had been suspected in the assassinations of the former attorney general
and his brother.....

Today - coincidentally - today I had the pleasure of hosting Denise
Anthony from Dartmouth at the Sloan Innovation Seminar - her paper is
VERY interesting because it shows that there is significant value from
the anonymous contributors:

Her paper:  "Explaining Quality in Internet Collective Goods: Zealots
and Good Samaritans in the case of Wikipedia" is available at:

http://web.mit.edu/iandeseminar/Papers/Fall2005/anthony.pdf

Abstract:

One important innovation in information and communication technology
developed over the past decade was organizational rather than merely
technological. Open source production is remarkable because it converts
a private commodity (typically software) into a public good. A number of
studies examine the factors motivating contributions to open source
production goods, but we argue it is important to understand the causes
of high quality contributions to such goods. In this paper, we analyze
quality in the open source online encyclopedia Wikipedia. We find that,
for users who create an online persona through a registered user name,
the quality of contributions increases as the number of contributions
increase, consistent with the idea of experts motivated by reputation
and committed to the Wikipedia community. Unexpectedly, however, we find
the highest quality contributions come from the vast numbers of
anonymous “Good Samaritans” who contribute infrequently. Our findings
that Good Samaritans as well as committed “Zealots” contribute high
quality content to Wikipedia suggest that open source production is
remarkable as much for its organizational as its technological
innovation that enables vast numbers of anonymous one-time contributors
to create high quality, essentially public goods.

Best,

Karim