[Air-l] I spoke too soon - some data re message board use

William Dutton william.dutton at oii.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 19 01:15:39 PST 2005

David

The OxIS survey asks whether individuals ever post on discussion or
message boards, and about 16% of our national sample in Britain say
they do. See our chapter on Internet uses in Dutton et al 2005, which
you cite below. Early surveys of home computer users did ask more
questions about the use of bulletin boards, usenet etc, but with the
diffusion of the Internet, a smaller proportion of users are actively
engaged in providing information online, such as posting messages. So
national surveys are not the best vehicle for obtaining more detailed
information about particular types of use. We need to complement more
representative national sample surveys with survey and qualitative
research focused on particular populations of users, such as bloggers.

Bill

On 18 Dec 2005, at 00:13, David Brake wrote:

> I spoke too soon! Some data is available after all. More would be
> welcome however as there still isn't much!
>
> Livingstone, S. M. and M. Bober (2004) "Uk Children Go Online:
> Surveying the Experiences of Young People and Their Parents" ESRC
> London. http://personal.lse.ac.uk/bober/UKCGOsurveyreport.pdf
> reveals that of 12-19 year old regular internet users 17% contributed
> to message boards (doesn't separate out 'lurkers' from 'participants'
> though.
>
> Survey data from Pew's first Teen and Parent survey in 2000 reveals
> 38% of 12-17 year olds go to “web sites and bulletin boards where
> they can write their opinions about things”. Unfortunately, this
> question disappeared from (what seems to be?) Pew's only other survey
> data with teens in it - in 2004.
>
> And while I think of it here are the other sources I checked
> unsuccessfully (but which other researchers interested in young
> people and Internet use may find handy):
>
> Dutton, W. H., C. di Genarro and A. M. Hargrave (2005) "The Internet
> in Britain: The Oxford Internet Survey (Oxis)" Oxford Internet
> Institute Oxford. http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/research/oxis/
> OxIS_2005_Internet_Survey.pdf
>
> Roberts, D. F., U. G. Foehr and V. M. A. Rideout (2005) "Generation
> M: Media in the Lives of 8-18 Year Olds" Kaiser Family Foundation
> http://www.kff.org/entmedia/7251.cfm doesn't seem to have anything in
> it.
>
> NetRatings Australia Pty Ltd (2005) "Kidsonline at Home: Internet Use in
> Australian Homes" Sydney. http://www.aba.gov.au/newspubs/internet.shtml
>
> ---
> David Brake, Doctoral Student in Media and Communications, London
> School of Economics & Political Science
> <http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/media@lse/study/
> mPhilPhDMediaAndCommunications.htm>
> Also see http://davidbrake.org/ (home page), http://blog.org/
> (personal weblog) and http://get.to/lseblog (academic groupblog)
> Author of Dealing With E-Mail - <http://davidbrake.org/
> dealingwithemail/>
> callto://DavidBrake (Skype.com's Instant Messenger and net phone)

Professor William H. Dutton, Director
Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford
1 St Giles', Oxford OX1 3JS