[Air-l] Re: Dirty E-Politics: When will virus writers get righteous?

Art McGee amcgee at virtualidentity.org
Sun Feb 20 15:32:33 PST 2005

> I'm not talking about the DNC spamming me, but I wonder
> why there aren't more fringe groups filling inboxes.
>
> I am curious as to why these groups are not filling our
> inboxes.

4 years ago, I used to spam about 100,000 people on a
regular basis with radical political messages. The trick is,
to them, it wasn't spam, although by today's definitions it
would be. I used to get email from people on a regular basis
that would say something to the effect of: "I don't know how
you got my email address, but I'm glad you did! Thank you!"
Others would tell me that the emails I sent were the *only*
ones they would let through automatically, and the rest,
even emails from family and friends, would be processed
by a spam filter.

Now obviously, what I was doing wasn't fringe in the sense
of being crazy, because I was trying to reach enlightened
people who I already knew were desperate for this type of
information. I knew who my audience was and I knew how to
find them, even if they didn't know I existed. I didn't need
to ask their permission, I simply had to make my presence
known and they were grateful that someone had rescued them
from the inanity of standard cyber discourse.

Now, to address your question specifically, the answer is
quite simple, those who are the most on the fringe and the
most divorced from enlightenment reasoning have the least
interest in saying anything to anyone other than those who
are already a part of their incestuous ideological circle.
Their methods of recruitment are not the tactics of mass
struggle, in the way that activists throughout history have
used them, but rather, they are more akin to cults, and the
tried and true method for cults is to pick people off one at
a time, looking for those who are drifting aimlessly in life
and needing something to grab on to.

More importantly, I think the idea that fringe groups don't
care what people think about them is fallacious. While they
may not care about public image in the sphincter-obstructing
way that professional politicians do, they have no interest
in making themselves targets of the wrath of a large swath
of the public or the government, which is what most
certainly would happen if people started to find, for
example, Neo-Nazi messages in their mailboxes on a regular
basis. Brutish commerce about penis enlargement pills and
other products is tolerated because it is somewhat comical
and farcical, but the FBI, ATF, DEA, and other acronyms
would start busting down literal and virtual doors if "Kill
All Jews" spam was flooding the net. Even nutjobs aren't
completely stupid.

Jehovah's Witnesses, who on the surface have been
stereotyped as trying to recruit people "willy nilly," are
not that interested in bringing a flood of random people
into their church. They have stuck to old-style face-to-face
contact, which is much more similar to grassroots organizing
than many would want to admit. Also, being that they are
Christians, I suspect that their ethical values would
discourage them from spamming. They might be considered
annoying to many people, but that doesn't mean that they'll
do anything for attention.

Then there is the issue of economics and technical know-how.
Spamming of the type that you see on the net regularly does
require a certain amount of continuous capital investment,
which for political groups is not recouped by sales to
stupid people. Every dollar they spend on lawsuits, servers,
staff, etc., would be money out of their normal operating
costs. In addition, the technical information and industry
contacts necessary to spam and not get almost completely
and permanently blocklisted from the net, including your
legitimate non-spam access, is not something that is
currently in reach of many of these groups. Even the
Neo-Nazis have regular web sites like StormFront.org,
and you can bet that their site would be affected if spam
started going out that had any connection to them. So, the
return on investment for spam is not even worth it for these
fringe groups.

To summarize, spam is basically counterproductive for
political groups unless they have a known audience which can
be unearthed with absolute certainty. This requires a depth
of cultural understanding and communications skills which
few of these groups have. I could do it because it is one of
my strengths, but few of the truly fringe groups have the
people or resources to play on this field.

Art McGee
Principal Consultant
Virtual Identity
Communications+Media+Technology