[Air-l] Political spam

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Tue Feb 22 18:56:25 PST 2005

On Feb 19, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Allan A Friedman wrote:

> I am curious as to why these groups are not filling our inboxes. There
> are
> enough web-savvy conspiracy theorists out there, and some of them must
> be
> desperate to wake us sheeplike masses from our ignorant slumber. They
> call
> in to AM talk shows. Sometimes they leaflet a neighborhood. Where is
> the
> spam?

It's in my in-box. I get stuff from someone in Cambridge, MA who
appears to believe that every public official who has anything to do
with the Charles River is part of an "evil" cabal attempting to kill
off geese in the Charles. I have no idea how this person got my
address, and I certainly never asked to receive their ranting. Further,
I get  political stuff from  family members--mostly urban legends about
political candidates/parties with whom they disagree--that is certainly
unwanted, and which they must certainly know I don't agree with, just
because they send these messages to everyone in their email address
book. But this this spam? Must it be unwanted AND sent to people
outside one's circle of friends, family, acquaintances, and co-workers?
(If it isn't spam, its still an interesting phenomenon.)

Whatever the case, why don't we get (more) stuff that is both unwanted
and from folks we don't know?
Part of the answer has to be that people dumb enough to think it would
have any positive effect are unlikely to know how to spam people.
Another part of the answer might be that those who could bring
themselves to believe in the effectiveness of political spam--e.g.,
LaRouchian's who spam us with leaflets on the street--are political
radicals whose radicalness is not the result of political thought so
much as a need to be *seen* as outside of the mainstream and/or a need
to feel rejected by the mainstream. Both of those needs are wonderfully
satisfied by pamphleteering for unpopular causes on a street corner,
but are not at all satisfied by spamming in its fullest, anonymous,
form. (This also provides some explanation for the limitation of most
political spamming--if we can call it that--to folks on the spammer's
email address directory--those directories only contain folks who will
be able to identify the "spammer" and thus be capable of rejecting them
and/or contain folks who the spammer will be able to perceive as
viewing them in a socially significant way as outside the mainstream.)

--Christian Nelson

Christian Nelson, Ph.D.
Scholar  in Residence
Dept. of Marketing and Health Communication
120 Boylston St.
Emerson College
Boston, MA 02116-4624