[Air-l] Text messaging resources

Jennifer Kurkoski kurkoski at haas.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 8 22:11:01 PST 2005

Hi all,

Here are the reponses I received from my request for references on
research related to text messaging. Thanks to all for the replies!

 - Jennifer

=========
One of my colleagues has done some research on this topic:
http://www.swin.edu.au/sbs/ajets/journal/issue2/abstract_sms.htm

=========
there is a forthcoming edited collection from richard harper, alex
taylor and amparo lasen on texting, also 'mobile world' from lynne
hamill and amparo lasen - google any of them and it will probably turn
up some online papers, otherwise you could check out the digital world
research centre pages, at www.surrey.ac.uk/dwrc.

=========
"The Gift of the Gab? : A Design Oriented Sociology of Young People's
Use of Mobiles", Taylor, Alex S.; Harper, Richard. Computer Supported
Cooperative
Work: The Journal of Collaborative Computing, Aug2003, Vol. 12 Issue 3,
p267

"R U There? Ostracism by Cell Phone Text Messages" Smith, Anita;
Williams, Kipling D.; Group Dynamics, Vol 8(4), Dec 2004. pp. 291-301

=========
Heidi Campbell(2004) "This is my Church: The Internet and Club Cuture as
Spiritual Space" in Religion Online, L. Dawson & D. Cowan (eds), New
York: Routledge.

=========
There is actually quite a growing literature on texting.  I have a
chapter on it in my book where I look at more of the linguistic aspects
(The mobile connection is the title of the book).  In addition I have a
couple of papers where I look into the way that SMS or texting is used
in everyday situations:
  Telektronikk -- social consEquences of mobile telephony (2004)
  Nobody sits at home and waits (2002)

Other links, resources include a book that is coming out edited by Rich
Harper, Alex Taylor and Leysia Palen specifically on the social aspects
of texting.  The book is entitled The Inside Text: Social perspectives
on SMS in the mobile age and is being published by Klewer.  It should be
out soon.

Another good source of information is Nalini Kotamraju's bibliography on
research in the area. The link is
http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~nalinik/mobile.html.

I hope that this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Rich Ling
Oslo, Norway

==========
My PhD dissertation analyzed language use in four modes of
computer-mediated communication: email, web chat, instant messaging, SMS
(mobile text messaging). The title of the dissertation is "Use and
Adaptation of Written Language to the Conditions of Computer-Mediated
Communication". It can be downloaded from my website. The summarizing
and concluding chapter of the dissertation may also be downloaded.

http://www.ling.gu.se/~ylva/

As I have my degree in general linguistics I had a rather broad tack,
and argued that human ability to adapt behavior (including linguistic
behavior!) is fundamental. Language use in text messaging may be
regarded as an example of that.

Ylva Hard af Segerstad , PhD.
Dept. of Linguistics
Goteborg University