[Air-l] Wall Street Journal -- "digitally tone deaf"?

Jennifer Kurkoski kurkoski at haas.berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 27 11:35:54 PST 2005

I thought this article might be of interest to many on this list. I've
thought about similar issues with regards to academic journals. That is,
if the reference is not available online, how likely are people to make
the effort to go to the library and make a copy? Do citations decline?
Many American Psychological Association articles are not available
online. And for ones that are, it has only been in the last year that
even UC Berkeley provided access for students. Now, if you're Psych
Review or the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (the field's
top journals), maybe you can get away with this, but for how long? At
least with those pubs you can find the citations, if not the full text.
Evidently not necessarily true for WSJ.

 - Jennifer

----------
Whither The Wall Street Journal?
By Adam L. Penenberg
Wired News
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,66697,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_4

...[I]t might be hard to believe that The Wall Street Journal is in
danger of becoming irrelevant, but it is.... Because you have to
subscribe to access both current news articles and the archive, the
Journal is leaving only a faint footprint in cyberspace.

Since most people refuse to pay for WSJ stories, most bloggers are
reluctant to link to them. It also has an impact on anyone who uses the
web for research -- and there are a lot of us. As importantly, the next
generation of readers is growing up by accessing news over the internet,
and one place they are not surfing to is WSJ.com. With their habits
being formed now, there is little chance the Journal will become part of
their lives, either now or in the future.

---
Jennifer Kurkoski
Ph.D. Student, Organizational Behavior
Haas School of Business