[Air-l] Re: VB: ICCA-06 - New topic - CA and chat (Denise N. Rall)

Sean Rintel er8430 at albany.edu
Fri Feb 25 03:19:47 PST 2005

"Denise N. Rall" wrote:

> I am wondering (not my area) if there is a body of
> analysis on chat using CA techniques. . . .

To the list that was provided earlier I would add the following. Some
are not strictly CA, but are close qualitiative analysis of talk. The
ones that identify themselves as using some version of CA I have marked
with an asterisk:

Bechar-Israeli, H. (1995). From (Bonehead) to (cLoNehEAd): Nicknames,
play and identity on Internet relay chat. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication, 1(2). http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol1/issue2/bechar.html

Danet, B., Ruedenberg-Wright, L., & Rosenbaum-Tamari, Y. (1997).
"HMMM...WHERE'S THAT SMOKE COMING FROM?" Writing, play and performance
on Internet Relay Chat. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication,
2(4). http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol2/issue4/danet.html

Herring, S. C. (1999). Interactional coherence in CMC. Journal of
Computer-Mediated Communication, 4(4).
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol4/issue4/herring.html

Marvin, L. E. (1995). Spoof, spam, lurk and lag: The aesthetics of
text-based virtual realities. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication, 1(2). http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol1/issue2/marvin.html

* Rintel, E.S., Pittam, J., & Mulholland, J. 2003. Time will tell:
Ambiguous non-responses on Internet Relay Chat. The Electronic Journal
of Communication / La Revue Electronique de Communication, 13, (1)
<http://www.cios.org/www/ejc/v13n1.htm>

* Rintel, E.S., Mulholland, J., & Pittam, J. 2001. First things first:
Internet Relay Chat openings. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication, 6, (3). <http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol6/issue3/>

Rodino, M. (1997). Breaking out of binaries: Reconceptualizing gender
and its relationship to language in computer-mediated communication.
Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 3(3).
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol3/issue3/rodino.html

* Vallis, Rhyll (1999) ‘Members' methods for entering and leaving
#IRCbar: a conversation analytic study of internet relay chat’. In: K.
Chalmers, S. Bogitini and P. Renshaw (eds), Educational Research in New
Times. Flaxton: PostPressed, 117-27

* Vallis, Rhyll (2001) ‘Applying membership categorization analysis to
chat-room talk’. In: A. McHoul and M. Rapley (eds), How to Analyse Talk
in Institutional Settings: A Casebook of Methods. London: Continuum, 86-99

Until anon,

Sean

--
Sean Rintel