[Air-l] electronic signatures

elijah wright elw at stderr.org
Wed Feb 2 14:29:42 PST 2005

> Thanks for sharing this document, which raises some good issues.
> However, it represents a pretty narrow interpretation of the law,
> especially in view of the fact that the government itself uses
> electronic signatures quite extensively these days. You can even sign
> your tax return electronically! This document assumes a rather high
> degree of risk to the human subjects, and in reality, there is (or ought
> to be) a lot more room for negotiation of these matters with the IRB
> depending on the nature of the study.

there are multiple meanings of "signature" being used here, by various
folks.

first, we have signature as in "the signature i use to sign the bottom of
an informed consent form".  handwritten, et cetera.

second, we have signature as in a certification that you have read, do
wish to submit, etcetera - typically implemented as you typing in a
password, clicking a checkbox, or typing in a captcha-style string of
characters.  this is different (in a lot of ways) than the first meaning
of signature.

first of all, method 2 is trivially forgeable, and doesn't share many of
the properties of method 1 - relatively unique handwriting styles,
evidence of coercion or nervousness in people's responses, et cetera.

second, we have to consider whether there are good reasons for the
utexas.edu-style 'you must get a real signature either f2f or by fax' rule
to be as it is.  perhaps they have simply not seen anyone present a method
of implementing signature-style-number-2 that can pass muster as a unique
identifier that certifies a person's intentions.

--elijah