[Air-l] IR 6.0 extended deadline

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 14 12:34:08 PST 2005

For those of you struggling with a last minute submission ... a reprieve.
The deadline for submissions has been extended to Sunday Feb. 20th, 2005.

Earlier submissions accepted! We will begin to process abstracts for
review starting this Wednesday.

I know the website now says submissions are open until Feb. 21st, but
given time zones, the official deadline is Midnight Feb. 20th -- your
midnight. The site is only open to the 21st to prevent problems across
time zones. Please submit by Sunday the 20th.

/Caroline

------------------------------------
Association of Internet Researchers

Abstract Deadline: Sunday Feb. 20th, 2005

Presentations can include:
-- Single papers (abstract max of 750 words)
-- Aesthetic presentations (abstract max of 750 words)
-- Roundtables (abstract max of 250 words)
-- Pre-conference workshop (abstract max of 1000 words)
-- Multiple Paper sessions (abstract max of 1000 words)

Call for Papers Announcement

INTERNET GENERATIONS

The Internet has been a rapidly evolving phenomenon, so much so that we
may talk about generations of the Internet. With everything moving faster
in 'Internet time,' we have arguably spanned many technological Internet
generations within a single human generation: from the birth of computing
to the first online communications; from the beginnings of email to the
enriched worlds of chat, virtual worlds and mobile text messaging; from
the workplace to home and school; from optional to all-but-mandatory; and
from mainframe to desktop to laptop to mobile devices.

We can also talk about contextual Internet generations, from the early
pioneers who count themselves among those communicating online before the
1980s; to the early adopters of the 1980s in university and proprietary
systems; to latecomers finding the need to adopt computing and technology
use as part of their daily work; to the current and coming generations
that will not know a time without a computer in the household, a mobile
phone in their hand, and a lap- or palmtop and an MP3 player an essential
part of their daily wear.

This massive change in technologies, and in work and social practices
suggests many avenues of interest for Internet research.

CALL FOR PAPERS

We call for papers from a wide perspective of disciplines, methodologies,
and communities. We invite papers that address the theme of Internet
Generations including TOPICS such as:

- Histories of the Internet: human, social, technical, and/or cultural
stories and histories - Internet use by generation, e.g., by era of
technology, by children and seniors, or by age of user, etc. - Individual,
group, organizational, or community use, adoption, or diffusion of the
Internet and its practices - Development in use of languages, new
vocabularies, social roles, rules, and etiquette - Societal impacts of and
on the Internet and its evolution - Perspectives on the Internet and
social change in a changing world - Internet expansion across divides,
borders, nationalities, etc. - Mapping the course of Internet connectivity
- Prospects for the future: Next generation Internet

We invite submissions for papers, panels, and demonstrations of work on
topics related to the conference theme of Internet Generations. Sessions
at the conference will be established that specifically address the
conference theme. We particularly call for innovative, exciting, and
unexpected takes on the conference theme. We also welcome submissions on
topics that address social, cultural, political, economic, and/or
aesthetic aspects of the Internet beyond the conference theme. In all
cases, we welcome disciplinary and interdisciplinary submissions as well
as international collaborations from both AoIR and non-AoIR members.

MULTI-PAPER SESSIONS/PANELS

Submit one entry for the multi-paper session as a whole. This should be
entered by the person organizing the session, and who will be the contact
for the session. Describe the rationale and intent of the overall session
and include short abstracts for each paper to be presented.

GRADUATE STUDENT PROPOSALS AND PARTICIPATION

We strongly encourage submissions of proposals from graduate students, and
papers for consideration for a special Student Award. Students should note
their student status with submission. Students wishing to be a candidate
for the Student Award must send a full final paper to the conference
organizers by June 1, 2005.

PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS

We invite proposals for a limited number of pre-conference workshops which
will provide participants with in-depth, hands-on and/or creative
opportunities. Proposals should be no more than 1000 words, and should
clearly outline the purpose, methodology, structure, participant costs,
equipment and minimal attendance required, as well as the relevance of the
workshop to the conference as a whole. Proposals will be accepted if they
demonstrate that the workshop will add significantly to the overall
program in terms of thematic depth, hands-on experience, or local
opportunities for scholarly or artistic connections.

CONTACT INFORMATION

If you have questions about the conference, program, or AoIR, please
contact the following people. Please use a subject line that clearly
distinguishes your message for spam!

Program Chair: Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu - Inquiries
on conference content: paper submissions, reviewing, paper organization

Conference Site Coordinator: Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu - Inquiries on
meeting rooms, audiovisual equipment, conference site

AoIR President: Nancy Baym, University of Kansas, nbaym at ku.edu -
Inquiries regarding the Association of Internet Researchers and
sponsorship

Association Website: http://www.aoir.org