[Air-l] Re: CFP - Social Software in the Academy Workshop

elijah wright elw at stderr.org
Fri Feb 25 17:52:03 PST 2005

if anything, "social software" needs to find a better/more descriptive
name for itself.  generally, it seems to describe a fairly tightly
constrained/circumscribed subset of the available socia[b]l[e] media.

were i to submit a paper on some aspect of IRC, a *very* sociable (and
fairly popular) software medium, would it likely be rejected?  it is hard
to tell from the text of this announcement.

[to some extent i'm trolling/stirring-the-pot, here, danah - but i do
notice an unusual prevalence of purely *web-based* media among the terms
used below to describe the workshop.  that's kind of ... unsettling.
and, i think, something that we should all be thinking / talking about.]

--elijah wright

school of library and information science
indiana university, bloomington