[Air-l] Missing link to the IR 6.0 site

Charlie Breindahl hitch at hum.ku.dk
Thu Jan 20 00:06:07 PST 2005

Ellis Godard wrote:

>Charlie B wrote:
>

>>This association
>>is run entirely by volunteers. You are entirely welcome to
>>criticize how it's being done, but do consider contributing
>>

>yourself.
>
>Input on this list is itself a contribution, IMO, but how
>'bout a battery of suggestions for more direct ways to help?

This list is a scholarly endeavor in itself (and a very important one IMHO), but as list moderator, I'd have to say it isn't exactly runnning smoothly all on its own. I might add that maintaining the list software takes a sizeable chunk of time out of Jeremy's work schedule.

One big opportunity is the upcoming elections to the executive committee. Also, consider reviewing paper proposals for IR 6.0 (I know you do, Ellis, this is a general recommendation).

>>Now that I have already reared my ugly head: A newcomer to
>>this list has asked me to politely request you to edit out
>>the redundant parts when you reply to a posting. Please try
>>to remember this - it really means a lot to the usability of
>>

>the list.
>
>Input off this list is itself a contribution, IMO, but how
>'bout a battery of suggestions for more direct ways to help?
>
>;)

 From RFC1855: "If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be
sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include
just enough text of the original to give a context. This will make sure
readers understand when they start to read your response. Since NetNews,
especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from one host
to another, it is possible to see a response to a message before seeing
the original. Giving context helps everyone. But do not include the
entire original!"
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

Configuring Mail Clients to Send Plain ASCII Text
http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

Best,
Charlie