[Air-l] Disadvantage of the Internet

Carol Perryman cp1757 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 08:51:54 PST 2005

'Silicon Snake Oil' is correct - I'd be interested in seeing if Stoll
is still of the same opinion.  It was a real departure from his prior
work (Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer
Espionage), and reads more like Nicholson Baker's 'Doublefold' - a
raging and not always accurate opinion piece  full of bias.  There's
no question that I myself am biased in making this comment, because he
took out after librarians in one chapter.  It is not a scholarly work,
though it is worth reading, given his arpanet background.  You might
want to check out his 1999 book, 'High-Tech Heretic: Why Computers
Don't Belong in the Classroom and Other Reflections by a Computer
Contrarian', as well (again, I was not impressed, but then we know
about my own bias).

He has apparently continued to criticise the internet, because a
cursory amazon search shows a 2002 title, 'Logout', which I've never
heard of.  He's been cited tons, so it might help to look at ISI.

Carol Perryman
PhD student
School of Information & Library Science
UNC-Chapel Hill