[Air-l] development of social codes around a technology

Nafus, Dawn dnafus at essex.ac.uk
Fri Jan 28 02:36:16 PST 2005

A blatant plug for my own work, but I've co-authored a paper about uses
of mobile phones in the context of the historical development of notions
of the individual. It talks about politeness in relation to morality and
puts some historical context around perceptions of 'crudeness' in mobile
usage, and speaks to the issue of things always being in 'flux' (or
not...).

Nafus, D. and K. Tracey. (2002) Mobile Phones and Concepts of
Personhood. In Katz and Aakhus, Perpetual Contact. CUP.