[Air-l] translation appreciated

Thomas Koenig T.Koenig at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 12:17:24 PST 2005

Disclaimer: I have not read the relevant book chapter.
At 16:49 12/01/2005, you wrote:
>A review of Wellman & Haythornthwaite _The Internet in Everyday Life_
>(Blackwell 2002) in _Sociology_ 38, 4, July 2004: 641-643

It's issue No. 3, not 4 btw.

>says that "The Global
>Villagers" article I coauthored needs more:
>
>"sublating micro-narratival accounts of a global phenomenon".
>
>Although I am always eager to learn, this suggestion is not in a language
>I speak.

First of all, I think, the reviewer means that you sublate
"micro-narratival accounts of a global phenomenon"[1], thus you need less,
not more "sublating" according to the review.

My wild guess is that "sublating" refers to the Latin "tollere", whose
present participle is "sublatum". "tollere" is sort of an all-purpose verb,
which can mean anything from "to overthrow" to "to raise" to "to purge." In
this context I'd guess it means "to omit" or "to purge."

Under "micro-narratival accounts" he probably understands stories,
conversations, or utterances made outside the ideological frameworks found
in mainstream public discourse as it appears in the (non-internet) media.
These discourses have a heavy class bias, as does your survey according to
the reviewer.

Hence, he probably wants you pay more attention to less well-educated,
non-US/Canadian voices on the internet, which he believes you have unduly
neglected.

Just my 2c

Thomas

[1] The entire sentence reads: "This is not to strike a parochial note but
to ring warning on the dangers of sublating micro-narratival accounts of a
global phenomenon."

--
thomas koenig, ph.d.
department of social sciences, loughborough university