[Air-l] small "i" restored

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 20 16:51:31 PST 2005

Readers with even a short memory will recall that a brief while ago, I
asked how to get MS Word 2002 to accept my small-i "internet" as well as
my big-I "Internet. (Am I the only one who thinks of Gulliver's Travels'
Big Enders vs Little Enders when this discussion happens?)

I want to report back that Andy Williamson's tip worked. I went to Tools,
SPelling and Grammar, Options, Custom Dictionaries, and then Modify. (I
only had 1 dictionary called "Custom"). I added "internet" in. I spell and
grammar checked a document with both Internet and internet, and neither
was flagged.

Thankfully, I didn't have to use Jeremy Hunsinger's drastic notion of
turning off my main dictionary. That sounds like a cure worse than the
disease.

 Barry