[Air-l] Web font sizes

Heidi haLevi heidi at processing.co.il
Sat Jan 29 23:32:24 PST 2005

Hi,

Surprising to see this lack of usability awareness here.
Rosemary - the 'reason' you heard holds just about as much water as the
designer who said that the small font was called 'subliminal design'. :)

I'd just like to second Robert's reply, and clarify:
The reasoning that Denise put forward is too often abused by designers for
whom the font is a design element, rather than something that actually has
to be legible and readable to their audience. The good designer will allow
for good contrast, sharpness and size from the get-go.
Using the small font size as a default is a good idea (particularly if you
happen to know that that's your target audience's setting) - as most people
don't really like to bother with such a nuisance. Imagine if you had to
change your font size for every site!

The reason so many sites use small fonts is mainly because it's fashionable,
and looks prettier than larger fonts. Designers do, in fact, need to become
more aware of how their design works with various sizes of fonts, and find
attractive ways of presenting information without assuming that their entire
audience has 6/6 vision, or is using IE and knows how to adjust font-sizes,
etc.

As someone who has taught web designers for a number of years, the main
issue seems to be different ways of processing information. Designers
generally think visually - i.e., composition, whole picture, balance. They
have a harder time focusing on particular/logical details such as is the
font readable, and does the hierarchy make sense. Teaching designers in fact
involves getting them to be aware of their own info. processing biases, and
how to balance their perspective.

The web is hybrid. And requires us to be as well :)

Heidi Dawn haLevi
Information and
Experience Design

heidi at processing.co.il