[Air-l] Re: Studies on email use and collaboration

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 23 12:05:07 PST 2005

Most of my work is in some way connected with collaborative processes
and media use -- with email as one of the major media use. See the book
chapter below for the overview + examples, and the JASIS and TIS papers
for study details.

Haythornthwaite, C. (2002). Building social networks via computer
networks: Creating and  sustaining distributed learning communities. In
K.A. Renninger & W. Shumar, Building Virtual Communities: Learning and
Change in Cyberspace (pp.159-190). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University
Press.

Haythornthwaite, C. (2002). Strong, weak and latent ties and the impact of
new media. The Information Society, 18(5), 385 - 401.

Haythornthwaite, C. (2001). Exploring multiplexity: Social network
structures in a computer-supported distance learning class. The
Information Society, 17(3), 211-226.

Haythornthwaite, C. & Wellman, B. (1998). Work, friendship and media use
for information exchange in a networked organization. Journal of the
American Society for Information Science, 49(12), 1101-1114.

/Caroline

PS. I'd be interested in seeing the full list of references when you have
received them.

Caroline Haythornthwaite (haythorn at uiuc.edu)    www.lis.uiuc.edu/~haythorn
Associate Professor                                  phone: (217) 244-7453
Graduate School of Library and Information Science     fax: (217) 244-3302
501 East Daniel St., Champaign, IL 61820