[Air-l] development of social codes around a technology

Alexander Kuskis alex.kuskis at netscape.ca
Thu Jan 27 14:44:47 PST 2005

Here's Amazon.com's listing..........Alex Kuskis

When Old Technologies Were New: Thinking About Electric Communication
in the Late Nineteenth Century
by Carolyn Marvin "Electrical professionals were the ambitious catalysts of
an industrial shift from steam to
electricity taking place in the United States and Western Europe at the..."
(more)
Editorial Reviews

Product Description:
In the history of electronic communication, the last quarter of the
nineteenth century holds a special place, for it was during this period that
the telephone, phonograph, electric light, wireless, and cinema were all
invented. In When old Technologies Were New, Carolyn Marvin explores how two
of these new inventions--the telephone and the electric light--were publicly
envisioned at the end of the nineteenth century, as seen in specialized
engineering journals and popular media. Marvin pays particular attention to
the telephone, describing how it disrupted established social relations,
unsettling customary ways of dividing the private person and family from the
more public setting of the community. On the lighter side, she describes how
people spoke louder when calling long distance, and how they worried about
catching contagious diseases over the phone. A particularly powerful chapter
deals with telephonic precursors of radio broadcasting--the "Telephone
Herald" in New York and the "Telefon Hirmondo" of Hungary--and the conflict
between the technological development of broadcasting and the attempt to
impose a homogenous, ethnocentric variant of Anglo-Saxon culture on the
public. While focusing on the way professionals in the electronics field
tried to control the new media, Marvin also illuminates the broader social
impact, presenting a wide-ranging, informative, and entertaining account of
the early years of electronic media.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195063414/qid=1106865684/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-8365121-9140810