[Air-l] Internet and fun/joy/pleasure (Terri He)

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 08:40:31 PDT 2005

I think one of the critical factors is one of Steve
Woolgar's "Five Rules of Virtuality" in Virtual
Society (2002) where it is noted: "The more virtual,
the more real".

Echoing the idea that communication can increase in
bandwidth (chat, telephone, etc.) to people already
known that one has fun with, and in the case of this
list, people I look forward to seeing once a year.
For me, it's the remembrance of our (brief) F2F
encounters that provides more motivation to get on the
list and 'have fun' posting to people I perceive as
friends.  It's the work and hard effort of the AoIR
Annual Conference (go, team!) that I attend with great
anticipation each year (definitely not virtual) that
means I stay in touch online with pals, aquaintances
and scholars throughout the rest of the year.

Cheers, Denise

P.S. Thinking of those in London tonight.

Denise N. Rall, PhD candidate, School of Environ. Science,
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480
Sustainable Forestry Mentoring Coordinator & Internet Researcher
Room T2.12, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Tuesdays or Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/index.html