[Air-l] query about commercial regulation of internet chat

Peter T. ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 28 08:22:56 PDT 2005

There are numerous cases of Intellectual Property grabs in terms of URL
names enough in fact that I took a whole course basically in domain dispute
resolution. You can find this in the policies of domain regiasters for
various countries. For instance in Canada for awhile you could only register
a dot ca address if the domain name was the name of your company. But this
aspect is very well known. This has probably been thouroughly discussed here
too I am sure.

But about chat's I am not sure. But there have been cases of insiders
chating or posting comments about companies they work at, such as
disparaging comments and being taken to court and one case where yahoo was
forced to revile user id information.

Also Lessig in his book Code meantions that AOL rooms are not true free
speech (ie soap boxes) for technical reasons because the rooms have user
limits on the order of magnitude of 25 users thus anyone person in a chat
can only reach a limited audience.

But look for battles concerning ISP's having to keep and revile user ID's in
court cases.

You might study the adverts in chat clients like yahoo's messenger. Because
this is commerical chat. Albite a more subtle form of regulation.

Peter Timusk B.Math Just trying to stay linear
www.crystalcomputing.net >blog> http://logbook.crystalcomputing.net
www.webpagex.org >blog> http://notebook.webpagex.org