[Air-l] Conference costs

Kris Markman jho-kmm at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 8 14:09:29 PDT 2005

Ed Lamoureux wrote:
>I would add one a comment about a general factor that is usually in
>play in US . . .
><snip>
>
>However, as many of you know, one trades off HUGE differences in
>airfare.
>
>So while NY, Chi, LA, Boston, DC, Atlanta, etc., charge high room
>rates, the air costs for tickets to and fro (esp. international
>fares) are so much lower that in the long run, attendees save $ in
>the bigger cities.

Speaking of which, for those of you living in/near cities served by
Southwest Airlines, they are currently running a fare sale, which
includes Chicago. I just found a round-trip ticket from Manchester,
NH (Boston area) to Chicago (Midway) for $185 including tax, which
was better than anything available from Logan.

As a graduate student, I can certainly sympathize with the high costs
of attending conferences, however, as someone who has organized and
worked on a number of conferences and workshops in both large and
small cities, I would second the idea that larger cities on balance
offer a better trade-off between costs and options. Putting together
conferences is an expensive undertaking, and I think that for an
organization with a limited budget, AoIR does a great job in
providing us with reasonable conference fees and accommodations.
-Kris M.
--
Kris M. Markman, M.A., Ph.D. Candidate
Email: jho-kmm at mail.utexas.edu