[Air-l] Re: new media and shock

Paula pmg at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 01:53:35 PDT 2005

Hi Steph,

Agree that sensationalisation and emotionalisation of this kind of event
(along with "stranger danger", internet scares, etc etc etc) are playing
into the hands of manipulative mechanisms to achieve social and
political control. Think Adam Curtiz' documentary "The Power of
Nightmares" is really worth watching if you can get it (it's up on
usenet sometimes). I think Curtiz' analysis - that USA regimes since the
fall of the Berlin Wall have been setting up "Islamic" terrorism as the
new bogie-man in order to tighten its grip on the North American psyche
is a valid one. I'm not sure if you're referring to Londoners as being
traumatised by this event/

I didn't get the impression that Londoners were anywhere near
traumatised by the latest bombing. Britain is a post-colonial nation and
has had a very long time to digest the bitter pill that messing
violently in other people's affairs will usually end in some sort of
decentred retaliation eventually. Any loss of life is tragic, of course,
but in comparison with conditions in any number of countries from Burma
to Congo I think that most people can see that we don't have too much to
complain about. I think most of us can also "do the math" that in a city
of 7.5 million people, your chance of being in the wrong place at the
wrong time in a bombing claiming 38 lives is statistically minute and
utterly negligible in comparison with your risk of cancer or car accident.

The bomb on the underground system is a little freaky as going down
underground is always mildly unpleasant. But we've got pretty
well-trained minds on the whole . . .

I suspect that most of the paranoia effect will actually be in "middle
England" which is masochistic enough to read right-wing tabloid newspapers!

Paula