[Air-l] "Big Brother"

Paula pmg at gmx.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 08:49:28 PDT 2005

Yay Derek - mind you, I think the government and corporations could be
forgiven for thinking that no one really gives a toss for civil
liberties in the UK anymore. Frankly, it's mainly the old-guard aristos
& posh liberals on the one hand and the ultra-left on the other opposing
the bill (and the ID card thing) - and the liberals and cons are more
bothered about the Latin in the 1215 constitution than curbing corporate
incursions into civil society and human rights. Everyone else (including
most of the liberal-left) appears to think there's some kind of
Gandalf-magic protecting the freedom-loving nature of the good citizens
of Hobbiton-in-Albion. Cos we all know that Asia and Africa have natures
prone to chaos ;-)  but a police state could never happen here. Folk
assure me that we British are always interning someone or other but it
never touches "us" (who?). Oppression is no more than mildly
reprehensible as long as it doesn't look like affecting one directly and
personally?

"Anglo-Saxon" socio-economic model eh?! Ha! Saxons and Angles, as I
recall, ruled by council and topped their own leaders if they got too
authoritarian. ;-)

Paula