[Air-l] SW to store webpages

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sun Jun 5 18:41:40 PDT 2005

>> most features are only available on macs or unix-based systems...
>>

> I doubt it. Especially, since MS tends to redefine bugs as
> "features."  ;-) But apart from bugs, there is, of course, much
> more software available for Win than for any other OS.

you might doubt it, but it is a fact of the interface and its
limitations.   you could disagree there, but then you would be sorely
pressed when faced with the full powers of the unix command-line.
which is also one of the reasons a unix user can do more with wget
than httrack can do, but there is plenty of evidence in that arena
already.    think of it like this  each program can be scripted and
all data can be piped or saved and reread, so that anything that you
can think that httrack can do, can be done and then beyond that we
can pipe it through any number of further systems from simply
stripping the html, to counting every word, to doing a full
statistical abstract of the text alone, or the text and code. if you
know how to use the unix commandline each command is a multiplier.

as for the explanation marks, it was turning very clearly into a
troll war.   little escalations such as the exclamation mark will be
interpreted in many ways, and i don't know your intent, but I do know
that at least one person saw it as a slight.   let's not go there.
We have provided plenty of answers to the question, they all work,
and they all can work to at least one user's satisfaction, so unless
new information is available....

jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu
www.cddc.vt.edu