[Air-l] Technical competence

Elizabeth Van Couvering e.j.van-couvering at lse.ac.uk
Sun Jun 5 22:22:03 PDT 2005

This comment raises I think an interesting issue, to what extent
ought we to be familiar with computer science as Internet
researchers?  In other words, should we know the basics of
programming, of UNIX, of html, etc.?

My own knowledge is pretty patchy - I did two semesters of algorithms
(in Pascal as I recall) about 15 years ago in college; I can hand-
code a website with basic HTML and CSS but no scripting; I used to be
able to write AppleScripts; and I can navigate up and down a unix
system (I basically know the 'ls' command and the 'cd' command).  I
know what a webserver does and can read log files.  And owing to my
research I now know something about how search engines function :-)
That's it, though -- perl and python are strangers to me, I can't
gzip or untar things, and as for the grep commands in AtlasTi...
well, let's just say I'm probably not using the program to its full
extent.

Still, I know more than most of the other people I know who are
studying new media.  But is that right?  Should I know more, should
they know more?  Do you think there is a minimum level of technical
competence that you need?

Elizabeth