similar issue statistics Re: [Air-l] Technical competence

Peter T. ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 5 23:38:07 PDT 2005

I am a social science student with a previous degree in statistics. I often
claim that knowing statistics allows me to better read social science
studies because the statistics in  a study is something I can understand. I
am uniquely me.. wildly interdisciplinary... and sure, many social sciences
require that a student to be a professional understand statistics.

That said some very important professors of mine who write reports for
national commissions IMHO use statistics at a very shallow level. Sometimes
a critique will involve attacking someone's statistics but then on the next
page of this paper a misuse of statistics will occur.

Peter Timusk B.Math Just trying to stay linear
www.crystalcomputing.net >blog> http://logbook.crystalcomputing.net
www.webpagex.org >blog> http://notebook.webpagex.org