[Air-l] Technical competence

Peter T. ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 7 03:44:13 PDT 2005

Yes learning to learn is important. But not to flame but to offer counter
examples.

In my non internet reading on qualitative research in schizophrenia recovery
I read Larry Davidson's Living Outside Mental Illness (New York: New York
University Press, 2003). In his study interviews were recorded and then
common themes in the text were statistcally analysed or basically counted.
Larry also does quite a lot of chapters on methodology in his book. This
would be the deepest I know qualitiative research I think. But qualitiative
and quantitative can be mixed well.

Now Pascal and this is more a novel point. I was reading some conference
proceedings from the computer science field on searching the web with XML.
In particular a Pascal like script was described and written in one paper
that searched for MathML documents on the web and the aim was to produce a
collection of knowledge. The pascal script would gather web published math
results and gather these. We have a global library but need to access it
right?

I have been told fortran is a dead language by some by others that it is
alive and well in industry. This all makes sense if one considers the number
of computers in use is increasing there is more diversity these days.

Now I will venture into a grip maybe technical, consider the web as
collection of knowledge. Why do we need a collection of knowledge? There are
many answers but I don't think computer scientists even ask the why
questions which is what social scientists and philosophers can ask.

Also another grip HTML wwas considered the best most universal system for
information distribution but now XML is the new ideal. Certainly knowing the
basics of html or XML lets one see the reasons for the pursuit of these data
formats which each in their time get a lot of effort and fill up a lot of
Internet production time.

Peter Timusk B.Math Just trying to stay linear
www.crystalcomputing.net >blog> http://logbook.crystalcomputing.net
www.webpagex.org >blog> http://notebook.webpagex.org