[Air-l] email vs voice mail

Ronald E. Rice rrice at comm.ucsb.edu
Thu Jun 16 22:20:24 PDT 2005

Hi...
Some of my own earlier work involved either direct analyses of voice mail
usage and evaluation, or multi-media studies that included email and voice
mail.  Reference sections in these provide pointers to related research.
Some few explicitly compared voice mail and email, such as Reinsch &
Beswick, and Markus and Soe.
Rice, R. E. & Shook, D. (1990). Voice messaging, coordination and
communication.  In J. Galegher, R. Kraut, & C. Egido (Eds.), Intellectual
teamwork: Social and technological foundations of cooperative work (pp.
327-350).  Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

Rice, R. E. (with Hart, P., Torobin, J., Shook, D., Tyler, J., Svenning, L.
& Ruchinskas, J.) (1992).  Task analyzability, use of new media, and
effectiveness: A multi-site exploration of media richness.  Organization
Science, 3(4), 475-500.

Rice, R. E. (1993).  Media appropriateness: Using social presence theory to
compare traditional and new organizational media.  Human Communication
Research, 19(4), 451-484.

Rice, R. E. & Danowski, J. (1993).  Is it really just like a fancy answering
machine? Comparing semantic networks of different types of voice mail users.
Journal of Business Communication, 30(4), 369-397.

Rice, R. E. & Steinfield, C. (1994).  Experiences with new forms of
organizational communication via electronic mail and voice messaging.  In J.
Erik Andriessen & R. Roe (Eds.), Telematics and work (pp. 109-137).
Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

Rice, R. E. & Tyler, J. (1995).  Individual and organizational influences on
voice mail use and evaluation.  Behaviour and Information Technology, 14(6),
329-341.

Rice, R. E., D'Ambra, J., & More, E. (1998). Cross-cultural comparison of
organizational media evaluation and choice. Journal of Communication, 48(3),
3-26.

======================================
Ronald E. Rice
Arthur N. Rupe Endowed Professor
Dept. of Communication
Incoming President of the International Communication Association
Co-Director, Center for Film, Television and New Media
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4020
ph: 805-893-8696; fax: 805-893-7102
rrice at comm.ucsb.edu