[Air-l] copying without acknowledgement

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Jun 11 08:52:01 PDT 2005

Today, GoogleAlert told me that my name cropped up in:

http://www.explore-biography.com/biographies/B/Barry_Wellman.html

I went to the entry and found the following:

"Barry Wellman is a professor in the department of Sociology at the
University of Toronto. His areas of research is Urban Sociology, Internet
and Social Structure, and Networks in organizations. He has been a
professor of Sociology at the university of Toronto since the late 1960's
after graduating from Harvard University.
"Professor Wellman is known for his eccentric style of teaching and is
author of many books and articles on Sociology and particularly the
Sociology of the Internet.
"He has an extensive website with many of his publications availalbe for
reading: http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/"

Page Info (in Firefox) says it was written on July 1, 2003.

Let's ignore the inaccuracies in this (mostly by omission) -- and I
dispute "eccentric teaching".

What gets me is that this entry is IDENTICAL to the entry on me in
Wikipedia, including the mispelling of "availalbe" [sic]. Page info is no
help, as it says June 6, 2005 but I first encountered the Wikipedia entry
many months ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Wellman

I don't know who copied from whom first, but I don't see either of the
entries acknowledging the other.

Strikes me that plagiarism lurks here. Or, am I just an old fuddy-duddy
who was taught (by Tom Lehrer) that the difference between plagiarism and
research is a citation footnote.

2. On a totally other subject, I hope to see some of you in Milan at the
Communities & Technologies conference. At least at the banquet and at our
session on June 15th.

 Barry