[UTKSIS-L] [Air-l] How is the Internet bad for us?

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Fri Jun 24 15:39:53 PDT 2005

Charles:

You make some compelling arguments, but I am certain that you took my
thoughts a lot further than I would have taken them. Indeed, it would seem
that we agree on much more than we disagree. If one examines the history of
the Internet, college students have long had access to it since the early
1980's when I was an undergraduate so the technology really is not that new
for the specific group that we are discussing. In historical terms, if you
are one who takes the long view I can accept your definition of a new
technology.

I can also agree with you on the problems with the food supply as well. I
try to eat organic as much as possible; however, the problem in the U.S. is
that ordinary citizens cannot mount consistent efforts against the corporate
interests that have access to the lawmakers,policy makers and legal counsel
to get things like questionable food in the food supply. All one has to do
is look at the current situation in America where there is no national
health care  to see that the corporate interests are the real interests.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of economic Darwinism going on in this country
and it is going to take a cataclysmic event to get people to wake up in
America. I recently saw a chart that Americans are divided along the same
lines today as they were during the Civil War. This is tragic; however, it
is very predictable since we never have fully dealt with the aftermath of
slavery and economic justice for the working class and middle class in this
nation. Getting back to the food supply argument, the agribusiness lobby has
Washington lawmakers and the media under control. One can look at
Opensecrets.org and see where the money is going every day and see the
sponsors during the billboards of the talking head programs on CNN, Fox,
MSNBC and the networks. The water situation was actually the subject of a
special report by the Center for Public Integrity. It appears that worldwide
the softdrink and water companies are assuming control of the market.
Actually, the City of Baltimore, where I live, is actually selling its tap
to the public because it has consistently been cited as tasting good and
being clean.

I am actually doing my dissertation on edutainment and convergence, and I
disagree with getting rid of brick and mortar institutions for several
reasons.
First, the sociological dynamic is incalculable for the young people and the
older ones too attending institutions of higher learning. Second, the
exchange of ideas and cultures is critical to continuing the discourse that
Plato began when he began the Academy in ancient Greece. Third, there are
certain times when a student needs tactile intervention from the professor
or fellow classmates to assist the student in learning a particular skill.
Fourth, it would appear that a mix of traditional and technology based
courses tend to compliment one another. This appears to be especially true
in field based courses in certain majors. For example, I am writer,
filmmaker and producer by trade. An electronic field production class does
not really lend itself well to graduate students who work in the field as a
purely classroom or electronic course. A student needs minimal classroom
time for this course which I have taught while focusing on the production in
the field setting. He or she should maintain electronic contact with the
professor to keep the professor abreast of issues or problems, but there is
no need to meet every week during the middle of a production.

Finally, I am certain from what I am seeing in classroom and library design,
both are happening at my university and others like Hopkins and Maryland,
That libraries are becoming more like edutainment centers that will be open
24 hours with card access and digital access to books. The rationale is that
there are a finite number of a given book that a school can have and this
number may not be enough to serve the students of the college and the
Maryland area since all colleges and universities share resources. While I
may not on principle agree with the economic determinism that is in use in
this nation and globally, I possess enough common sense to understand that
historically people in this nation have short memories, are living from pay
check to pay check and simply have not demonstrated the consistent political
will to stand up to government tyranny, unfairness and pro-business
policies. I would have benefited economically from a Bush or Kerry victory;
however, I am always amazed at the individuals who continually vote against
their own economic best interests. I am beginning to see the long term
wisdom of Lou Dobbs on the subject of globalism. Globalism has many tempting
factors to businesses, but at the end of the day American businesses will
find that the rest of the world will extract its pound of flesh for years of
economic and political dominance by the U.S. and that concerns me. Wages for
working people have been decreasing for nearly two decades while net worth
of the richest 1% keeps rising a  higher rate. This cannot last forever with
negative consequences for the country and the world. Have a good weekend.