[Air-l] ?Assessing critical reflection in an online forum discourse?

Rachel Harris rachel at inspire-research.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 03:21:36 PDT 2005

Hi Kate

You could try work that has looked at coding online learning communciations,
see

>From Personal Inquiry to Generic Coding Fast Coding of On-line Learning
Behaviours using an 'Elements' Approach
Helen Chappel, Erica McAteer, Rachel Harris, Sally Marsden
http://www.shef.ac.uk/nlc2002/proceedings/symp/04.htm#04a

Or, from the same conference, this collection of papers by Lally & DeLaat
A Multi-Method Approach Deciphering Individual Learning Processes in Virtual
Professional Development
Vic Lally and Maarten Delaat
Network and Content Analysis in an Online Community Discourse
Maarten Delaat
Squaring the Circle: Triangulating Content and Social Network Analysis
Vic Lally
http://www.shef.ac.uk/nlc2002/proceedings/symp/09.htm

The latter have been further developed as journal papers, let me know if you
would like the refs. A bit older now, but you could also look at:
Weedman, J. (1999). Conversation and community:  The potential of electronic
conferences for creating intellectual proximity in electronic environments.
Journal of the American Society for Information Science 50: 907-928.

Hope these are useful.
Rachel

Dr Rachel A Harris
Inspire Research Ltd