[Air-l] Technical competence

Andrew Wenn andrew.wenn at vu.edu.au
Sun Jun 5 22:58:16 PDT 2005

Hi,

That is indeed an interesting question. The answer would be pretty much
determined by what the individual wishes to research, and the
particular focus they wish to take.

I see absolutely no reason, in theory, a social scientist should have
to know perl, grep or other scripting languages. If they do it may
enable them to take their research in a different direction. I use an
Apple Powerbook with MacOSX installed, but I never have to use UNIX for
my day to day work and my research. Having said that, I have a good
knowledge of UNIX and can use grep and javascript if I have to. I could
also use perl but would rather jump of a bridge into a swiftly flowing
river first.

My technical background has enabled me to understand the reasons why
certain things function the way they do on the Internet and use some of
this knowledge in explicating my findings from a sociotechnical point
of view.

Obviously, there will be some tools/software etc that people need to
use because of the direction they wish to take their research and they
may have been developed for command line use only because that is all
the original developer needed. I guess that would be one of the factors
others have to consider when adopting the tool. Can they learn how to
use it? Or is there a better tool available that still meets budgetary
constraints.

In other words if you only know how to use a spade, is there any point
in hiring a mechanical digger that you don't know how to operate to dig
that drain you promised you would do 6 months ago. Or do you pay a
commercial operator to come in and do it for you? Or take a course in
mechanical digger operation?

Andrew

email: andrewwenn at mac.com
internet: http://homepage.mac.com/andrewwenn/