[Air-l] SW to store webpages

GTa3411203 at aol.com GTa3411203 at aol.com
Mon Jun 6 04:24:57 PDT 2005

I have been following this discussion and have not yet seen anyone raise a
question relating to the legality of using this approach to capture web pages in
support of academic research, in particular those web pages that are clearly
identified as being copyrighted. Are you contacting the owner of the site to
ask permission to create a copy of their documents for current and future use?
If not, how are you justifying using this approach to duplicating the data?
Fair use laws? How are you using the data after it has been captured? Are you
extracting data to support point in time studies? Longitudinal studies? I have
been on both sides of the house and have concerns both as the producer of
electronic documents as well as user.

I am also currently conducting an Internet-based study of organization
practices that are being reported on web sites. My approach to doing research is
quite the opposite. I am collecting data real-time by accessing individual web
sites (200-plus) and assessing the available data on a given date in support of
a point in time study. I am also using this as an opportunity to advance
research practices in a manner that call attention to the dynamic nature of
Internet web sites and some of the inherrent issues in taking this approach to
collecting data in comparison to some of the more traditional methods that might be
used when working with paper documents. I am interested in getting feedback on
using this approach to doing research.

Gail Taylor
Human Resource Education Ph.D. Student
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign